Friday, May 1, 2015

Roasted Garlic Rosemary Bread: Artisan Phases

Remember how in my last post about whole wheat bread I referenced that other loaf of bread that I technically baked first? Well, here it is. And as usual, I tend to attempt giant leaps forward before backtracking into baby steps.


My family has this vague history (if you can count 2 parents and 3 children who are barely in their teens and twenties as "history") of becoming obsessively fixated on hobbies or interests. This is pretty convenient for someone going into academia, but can kinda make you look crazy when it comes to hobbies. Like one summer, I went to hot yoga every single day at 6 AM. I'm still trying to figure out how I did that. Oh, and of course the one time my mom decided to go on a food network inspired cooking phase of multi-course dinners, it ended a few short weeks before I was home for Thanksgiving. And don't get me started on my cross-stitching phase of 2 months thats slowly dwindling, or my mother's recent gardening revival.


In this case, I would say bread baking is in its infancy as an obsession. For me, I think my obsessions tend to either 1) wax and wane fairly very quickly (i.e. cross-stitching), or 2) wax very slowly until I become the type of person who spends their weekend nursing an oven. Bread might be in category 1 at the moment, but it way has the potential to become 2. Especially if I actually do go through with buying a bread mixing stick, a giant bucket, and this fancy artisan bread book (which is where this Roasted Garlic Rosemary Bread recipe originally comes from).


I'm a huge sucker for garlic in general, but especially roasted garlic. It's the sign that I've truly fallen in deep with the "food snobs," "foodie culture," or you know, whatever label. As usual, the rise of this loaf was less than optimal- at only ~2-3 inches max. This is this thing I hate about food photos on blogs. At certain angles, you would totally not notice the lack of rise in a bread photo, and just think "omg, delicious, must try myself." But if you stare at it long enough, its totally obvious that the bread is not particularly tall. And then doesn't that just make you feel cheated?

Regardless of my high yeast/rise standards, the bread itself tasted great, albeit a little dense due to the rise problem. It was great as a tiny sandwich, or just by itself lightly toasted. Aside from the rise thing, the recipe is very easy to make (no endless kneading!). I think my rise problem was due to letting the dough initially rise for too long in a slightly heated oven. Since the bread is also left to sit overnight in the fridge, I think allowing the dough reach its rise peak resulted it in having massive deflation while in the fridge. Well, this is all untested conjecturing, so you know, don't listen to me.

Recipe via The Noble Pig

No comments:

Post a Comment