Sunday, November 5, 2017

Strawberries and Cream Scones: Day Light Savings Treats


Today I slept in to the gloriously late 8 AM thanks to day light savings. And today I decided to spend that extra hour baking Strawberry and Cream Scones, because strawberries from a Halloween sangria were starting to look a little sad. An extra hour gained doesn't feel like it should feel meaningful to me. After all, I waste many hours doing things as mindless as watching tv I don't even like (looking at you Grey's Anatomy), learning more about memes on reddit, or just hitting cmd+T and typing in "facebook.com" or "buzzfeed.com" or "twitter.com" or "nytimes.com." The usual eclectic mix of online fake news.


The "busy-ness" I experienced during medical school last year *should* have given me a new sense of appreciation with my time. After all, back then I would savor at just the rare treat of helping cook dinner, or just taking a walk. But I guess similar in the way thinking in graduate school is not quite the same as thinking in medical school, so too is my free time. All of which to say graduate school is not some leisurely afternoon tea. More like a tea for the queen that you have to put on entirely on your own and she wants some bake and tea that no one else has ever created and you as a completely inexperienced baker and pure coffee drinker don't even know where to begin.


But thanks to my extra hour, I can at least have some of these scones with which to eat while crying over why I don't understand visual cortex or why I have no interesting ideas or whatever thing decides to make my grad school day blue. I've already tested them on Ikea furniture building tears today and they held up well, so lets hope grad school tears are about the same as Ikea tears. 
Recipe from King Arthur Flour, with 1/2 flour substituted with whole wheat flour. 


No comments:

Post a Comment